Monday 6 May 2013

Sometimes you have to Agree to Disagree!

 External Ultrasound 1
 
I was then sent for an external ultrasound scan (the type they do on pregnant women) at the doctors.
This wasn't really an unpleasant test, I just had to drink a litre of water an hour before so that I was close to bursting when they scanned me. It's a little bit uncomfortable when they're pressing on your stomach and you feel like you're going to pee but it was over quite quickly.
The male doctor who was scanning me (and also looked like he couldn't be bothered) said that he thought I had Polycystic Ovaries as there were some small cysts visable.

So I went back to my regular GP who said that I must have Polycystic Ovaries then, at which point I told him that I totally disagree....I've read about this and I do not have any other symptom.
He then looked at the bloodtest results and told me that they don't show signs of it either so he decided to refer me to the Gynae Unit at Basildon Hospital.
I was really defensive at first...I couldn't understand why they would send me to a Gynaecologist, I thought maybe they thought I had something else wrong. It's only once I was home and started reading things on the internet that I realised that this was the general route you take when dealing with infertility.

At this time we had also been told that the results from my husbands tests were not great either so this was like a kick in the stomach....we were both emotionally drained and fed up.


 

4 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel - I'm sorry you are on this journey, it truly sucks. That's the only word that comes to mind when I think of IF. So I noticed you mentioned your husband's SA results were not great. My husband's count on everything was extremely low. He started taking a supplement called Fertility Blend and it has improved everything across the board dramatically. It's worth looking into. We still are not pregnant but having his count go up can only help. He would have to take 4 a day and about 3-5 months before seeing a dramatic improvement but it can always work faster - you never know. Sending you baby dust xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for the support and advice. It really means a lot to hear from others who are going through the same thing. Me and my husband are now taking the pregnacare supplements so I'm hoping they do something for both of us! ;) x

      Delete
  2. Hello :) It's so interesting reading about your experiences so far because we're in the same area and in some ways there's such a similarity and in others differences.

    I was really shocked at the suggestion I had PCOS too. I had hardly any symptoms. I'd had cycles that were quite long and irregular but I put it down to stress. And I don't have issues with my weight. Like you, I felt defensive.

    I was also scanned by a man who seemed like he couldn't be bothered. My experience was quite unpleasant because it was an internal ultrasound where they insert a probe. I couldn't understand why I couldn't have the external ultrasound like you did, but when I read about the internal examination you had when you got to your hospital appointment I realised the internal scan must have prevented them needing to do that. That sounds horrible. I think I've had something similar, last year when I had dermatitis for months in that area and didn't know it was that and doctors didn't know what the problem was, I got so stressed out I think they worried there might be something more wrong so I had a very thorough internal investigation by a doctor. Hard to describe isn't it! This reminds me, I've thought of writing a blog post about how going through all this has desensitized me.. I used to be worried about having a smear test... how things have changed!
    We were also told at one point that my husbands tests weren't great but then another doctor said oh thats normal. I think it was borderline/average but almost low. It's been such a stressful process, I feel a bit lost in it all!
    Sorry I've written an essay. haha.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences, it's really helpful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I am nearly at that desensitized stage too Beth, I recon by the time the HSG is done I wont care any more!
      Most of my dignity got up and left during the first internal investigation ha ha
      It is a really stressful process and I think that it's good for us women to be able to talk about it with others. I feel sorry for the guys as it's not an easy subject for them to talk about with others and when they are told that there may be a problem on their part it's a bit like you've damaged their pride! People offer a lot of support to women but men seem to be the forgotten party in a way!x

      Delete