Friday 30 January 2015

Transfer Day

27.10.14

So the last few days of waiting for the results of fertilization were tense to say the least.
The thing is you could have lots of eggs that initially fertilize but when it comes to going through the Blastocyst stage it could all change and you could be left with none.
Luckily for us they rang and booked us in for a transfer for today at 2.15pm.
We had 8 fertilize and they all made it to the embryo stage only 1 was slightly behind in development and they had picked 1 of superior quality to put back inside me.

The embryo goes through stages of development and divides into cells, my embryo was put back in on day 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1h611sNji8

We arrived swiftly at around 2pm and was taken to a waiting room....yet again I was terrified about what was going to happen but I knew that Kenny was going to be with me this time so I wouldn't be in there alone.

At around 2.30pm we were taken down to the room where the transfer would take place. It was very much like the theatre that I had been in for the retrieval just smaller.

I got into a gown again and then got up onto the bed.
There were only two nurses in the room this time, one was the nurse who would be doing the transfer and the other was doing the ultrasound part.

This process involves inserting a catheter into the cervix until it reaches the womb and then they push the embryo through with saline.
I was dreading it and really thought that it was going to hurt but it didn't, to be honest I didn't even feel it. The main pressure was from the ultrasound woman pushing down on my stomach and making me want to wet myself (yes you have to have drank a litre of water before going in).

Kenny and me watched on the screen as they put the embryo (our baby) inside my womb and then they showed us again on the screen slowly and explained what had happened. 

The embryo is so tiny when put back in that you would only be able to see it under a microscope.

We then were told to go back to the waiting room, where I could finally go to the toilet to get rid of all the water that was in my bladder. 
You kind of don't want to go to the toilet at that point in case your embryo falls out - it's not possible though so it's okay! ha ha

No comments:

Post a Comment